Sunday, April 27, 2014

The First-Year Composition Course: One of the Keys to Success

By: Larissa D.

With the semester drawing to a close, one cannot help but to reflect upon the events and coursework that have led to this point. Of course, such reflection tends to drift into contemplation as to whether or not a certain course holds enough merit to be considered a requirement for a degree. The first-year composition course is one that many tend to look upon with disdain, especially those interested in a degree field that “doesn’t require writing.” However, what most fail to realize is that every area of study does require skills that are obtained in English 101.

Writing is an important avenue of communication and self-expression that is utilized more frequently than most would believe. If one were to ask a group of college students how often they think they will write, the majority would likely respond that they would only be required to write for composition classes. That is because few recognize how often they are required to compose outside of the English 101 classroom. For example, many courses in college, even those in the areas of Mathematics and Science, require students to write papers on subjects that they are studying in class. While different fields may require different styles and formatting, the basics of composition do not change.

Additionally, most students make the mistake of assuming that once they are out of college they will no longer need to know how to write effectively. However, the opposite is true. One of the most important pieces of writing outside of the realm of academia is the resume. Employers often look for spelling and grammar errors on applicants’ resumes as a means of narrowing down the pool of potential employees. Additionally, once a job is secured, employers still expect a basic understanding of composition from their employees, especially those that are required to draft reports or other written presentations for their position. The skills necessary to complete such tasks effectively can be found in the English 101 classroom, which is why the course should be valued by all college students.

Of course, being an English Education major, I place a lot of value on the first-year composition course. I am aware of how important writing will be in my career and I want to be sure that I can effectively express myself to my employer and the students that I will be teaching. This semester has given me a solid foundation in writing that I intend to build upon throughout my academic career. Going into the course, I was terrified by the thought of attempting to draft a six to eight page research paper in proper MLA format. I had only written one other paper in MLA format, and that experience was over seven years ago. However, once it came time to sit down and write my first draft, I was no longer afraid. We had been using MLA all semester, and I knew that I had the tools I would need in order to complete the assignment.

Looking back, I can say that I am pleasantly surprised with how much I learned about composition in just sixteen short weeks. In addition to gaining confidence with MLA formatting, especially works cited entries, I was also able to brush up on my grammar skills and push the envelope with word choice in my essays. I am still working on balancing quotations with my own voice as a writer in my papers, but I am confident that I have gained the tools I will need to be successful as a writer, both in college and in my career, from my English 101 class.

No comments:

Post a Comment